27/01/2010

Literary and Medieval Dublin.

Ok, go ahead and say it. I have been here for 2.5 weeks and I haven’t published a single post about Dublin. A crime I admit committing.

Despite being the capital of the Republic of Ireland (not part of the UK), Dublin is a quite small city, with 1,2 million of people, 10% of São Paulo’s population. However, it holds so much Art and History that it took me 7 days of endless walking to get to know half of it. And I am definitely sure I won’t be able to see everything. But, I think I have enough fluency of Dublin to talk about Literary and Medieval Dublin.

Birthplace of many of the greatest writers in English Literature, you can actually “meet” them and see their houses.
Wilde’s house

Oscar Wilde

Bram Stoker’s house

Me and James Joyce

Then you can see Medieval Dublin. Star with DVBLINIA, an interactive exhibition that recreates the Viking period. The statues are astonishing, due to their human-like form. Even an archeological excavation site has been recreated.







The ticket to DVBLINIA allows you to visit Christ Church, the oldest church in Dublin (and the oldest I’ve ever seen), which dates back to 1100. There you can visit the graves, where many politicians and famous people are buried. Moreover, you can check the Treasure – but no photos allowed.


Christ Church





Mummified cat and mouse, found while some repairs were being done.


End your Medieval tour in St. Patrick’s Cathedral. It’s not as beautiful as Christ Church, but it’s worth the visit.




Take another day to see the Dublin Castle, because the Medieval walking tour is exhausting, but you won’t regret doing it.

Cheers, mates! =)

3 comentários:

Anônimo disse...

Hi Ila, sorry I haven't managed to contact you but the full-time CELTA kept me quite busy in January. I had a few moments just now and read your comments. I do hope you carry on having a great time! enjoy Dublin and the whole experience! Beijos, Elaine

Anônimo disse...
Este comentário foi removido por um administrador do blog.
Anônimo disse...
Este comentário foi removido por um administrador do blog.