21/01/2008

'Good Luck' and unemployment

I'd never been unemployed agaist my will in my life until last December, when a shameful process of ass-kicking was started by the school I used to work. That would be ok, after all and according to a psychologist, this was an important step towards maturity*.

Actually, what upset me the most wasn't the demmission itself. It was the fact that, from the time I talked to the responsable for my demmission to the moment I was hired by a new company, the words I heard most were GOOD LUCK.

The woman who fired me: Good luck!
All the interviewers from all the companies I apllied: Good luck!
The man who hired me: Good luck!
The doorman from the new company: Good luck!

Well, in my disturbed point of view luck is something that's independent of any skill you may have. You need luck when you bet the lottery, when you participate in a contest to win a car or something. Getting a new job and doing well in it depend only and exclusively on your competence and skills. So WHY ON EARTH do I need LUCK to it?!


Soundtrack: New Life - Depeche Mode

*like hangover, psychologists have a ready-to-post text in my mind. I DO need to post both...

2 comentários:

Jak disse...
Este comentário foi removido pelo autor.
Jak disse...

Well, I would love to say your "competence and skills" theory is right. But... well, life does not work that way, unfortunately. Those damn well-born boys and girls, or just those who know the right people, will always get a job faster, won't they? So, yeah, we do need competence and good skills and, also, a little bit of good luck.